Following up from my previous post on how big data can change my life for a specific idea, this one is attempting to find a few possible implications of big data in an individual’s life on a daily basis.
- Education: The devices are already an integral part of education. However the devices and apps only provide for delivering content. The apps provide same content to all students of a class. The next generation apps will not only understand basic data like class but will be smart enough to create custom tutorials for each student, to pace it for an individual student based on his/her learning patter. The app will be able to tell the students about their weakness and shall adapt to help students overcome such weaknesses. The content is also expected to be more involving like concept of solar eclipse is experienced by providing models of earth, moon and sun in appropriate sequence to enable student to experience it. The traditional methods will be replaced by smarter apps which encourage learning and playing. The apps today are created more by technical experts rather than subject experts, as the technology evolves, it will enable subject experts to create content along with experience. This will also mean consolidation of Apps, where app belongs to a select few players and content providers use their platform to create an experience and content. The gamification and personalization of education will impart a new meaning to it. Overall the landscape of education will change, where learning is personalized, fun, involving and an experience rather than theory.
- Entertainment: Apps from Netflix and other entertainment provider already make an attempt to suggest movies based on your profile. This will continue to evolve such that entertainment suggestions and packages will be tailor-made for individuals and family. The entertainment will also become a lot more social by involving users in real-time. A comedy show, singing competition will result in more people tweeting real-time as they watch and the participants will take a more in-depth analysis to improve on their performance through the data collected.
- Eating habits: The medical history of everyone would be known to apps and on the basis of same, apps will make eating recommendations. The apps will be also smart enough to suggest recipes based on inventory in fridge and kitchen, individuals taste and as per individuals health.
- HealthCare: A set of devices which monitor an individuals heart beat, specific parameters will be embedded to ensure any changes are notified appropriately. The medicines will be prescribed on the basis of individuals DNA and whole lot of data collected through lifestyle tracking apps.
- Shopping: Shopping continues to evolve and as time progresses the shopping basket for grocery, apparel or any leisure shopping will be based on combination of aspirational and transactional history assimilated for an individual. The apps today are smart enough to capture transactional history and convert it into actionable options for a user. However there are not many apps which tap into aspirational aspects of an individual. The e-commerce will evolve to be more immersive rather than single click. The immersive and social aspects of e-commerce will combine to give a good mix of data to create a series of customized campaigns and offers to entice a user into buying a product. An example of same would be a jewellery site offering virtual trial of jewellery and sharing the same on social sites. This will give good indications of what user is actually interested in, the transactional data will provide information on their buying capacity and other details. The app will be then capable of offering similar products in expected price range or offering appropriate discounts bundle options to entice the user to buy the product
The possibilities are endless as we bring more and more aspects of human actions into realm of digital world through apps and devices. Apps which creep into our lives by being on mobile devices, wearable devices will have access to our actions and will be able to control our lives or should we say be able to help us live better?